Saturday, January 3, 2015

Artichoke Bloom Gone Wild!


This year was my first time to grow artichokes- I had no idea the blooms were so pretty!  
So pretty in fact that I did not eat them but let them bloom and once the blooms were done, cut one off and brought it inside.  This bloom in particular I felt was the prettiest, most symmetrical and so it came inside where it sat dried up in this little crystal bowl for I don't know, months?  
I was very content with it and just left it there.  Yesterday while I was starting to pack up all the Christmas decorations it had exploded!  I had no idea- how cool is that!!!  

I am sad cause I really liked it there but I had several weeks / months where I enjoyed it as well.  Hope everyone is had a wonderful and safe New Years and here's to 2015!

6 comments:

  1. Pretty cool, I didn't know it would do that either. A quick search showed a lot of sites recommending air drying and none mentioned artichoke flowers seeding out that way. I'm going to try artichokes for the pretty flowers this year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so pretty! I am doing it again just for the blooms!!

      Delete
  2. I decided to grow artichokes to eat but once I saw the flowers, none got eaten. The flowers are gorgeous and it was the most asked about plant in my garden last summer. Oh well, it's good to support local farmers, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I've never seen an artichoke flower, let alone an explosive one. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year to you as well!!! Hope you are staying warm!!

      Delete